COVID-19 Life update

We have established a routine of sorts. We wake up at about 7.00 a.m. for cups of tea and catching up on all the news on our ipads. Then showers and breakfast, which we normally don’t eat together. Lunch is at about 12.30 to 1.00 p.m. and we sometimes have it together and sometimes separately if I get hungry too early for Stephen. After lunch we have a short nap time and have afternoon tea at about 3.00 p.m. At 5.30 we go for a walk, then prepare tea when we get home, eating at about 7.00 p.m. In normal times we roughly follow this routine, but it is broken up by things we do during the day and rehearsals in the evenings. With Matt we are having Facetime sessions on Sunday and Wednesday evenings. In future we could visit him, sitting outside on our own chairs and observing the 1.5 metre distancing.

After arriving back from the beach last week we have kept our walking local, exploring different places and streets in our neighbourhood. We did this a lot when we first moved here about 10 years ago, but haven’t had this much time. When we see people we always pass leaving a good deal of distance. People are friendly and we usually get smiles, if not actual greeting. Last night we walked up near Kent Street SHS and found a lovely open space just beyond where people were exercising their dogs. Everyone was observing the distance requirements and the dogs appeared to be having a great time.

sun through trees (1 of 1)-2

We will be restricted to our regions from Tuesday night, which means we could go and camp in the bush out on Brookton Highway tonight without breaking the rules. But, the spirit of the rules is that we don’t travel into other regions unless we need to get home. Although there is no risk of spreading the virus if we camp alone in the bush it doesn’t seem quite the right thing to do. We can still go to our beach for the night if we want to get away. The cooler weather gives us more options in normal times, but not these times.

We are keeping in touch with friends and family on social media and via email, as well as the odd phone call.

Getting stuff done: this week I finally got around to tackling Mum’s tax thinking that the deadline was the 31st March. There is one end of the year statement missing and I’ve contacted the company requesting a copy and am still waiting for an answer. When I contacted the accountant the end date is actually the 15th May, so we have time. Of course, this is not so that Mum can pay her tax, it is because she gets tax back on her investments. The government would probably be quite happy if she didn’t do a tax return. My concern is that her investments will have gone down in value due to the virus and she may need the money.

Getting stuff done:

  • I finalised the latest home movie using all the footage we shot when he came to lunch last Saturday. It went onto Youtube last night and when I rang the house to let them know they were all watching it. We are concious now that our family movies are watched by everyone at Matt’s house, so they not only need to be family friendly, but Villa 3 friendly.
  • I’m thinking of making a short movie about Stephen and I pining for Matt – a comedy naturally.
  • We haven’t cleaned the house.
  • I haven’t cleaned out my study and set up my sewing machines.
  • We haven’t tidied up our patio and set it up for outdoor living.
  • I’m blogging from time to time.

We are trying to keep shopping at a minimum, ideally once a week but it is hard to have enough bananas for a week. A few days ago we walked past our local IGA and noticed that there were very few people inside and we plan to pick up a few things tonight when we are out on our walk. Of course, we also have the special hour from 7.00 to 8.00 a.m. for shopping as well, but Coles has reset that to cater for health workers on two days and seniors and disabled on three days – we just have to plan things a bit more.

sun through trees (1 of 1)-3

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: