Goomalling, Dowerin, Northam and Mt Helena

On Tuesday we went to look at Slattery House, an old farmhouse that operates as a restaurant, but only on weekends. We drove down the driveway a bit, but did not get out and walk around, respecting the owner’s privacy.

Slatterley House, Western Australia (1 of 1)
Slattery House, near Goomalling

We were on our way to Oak Park, a local picnic area with self guided interpretive walks. It was quite interesting and we enjoyed walking around and having a picnic in the area.

Oak Park, Western Australia (1 of 1)
Oak Park

Afterwards we drove to the nearby town of Dowerin. We had been told there was a bakery in the town, but our drive around the streets did not find one. We stopped at an information area and took photos. Stephen read the billboard information.

Tin Dog, Western Australia (1 of 1)
Rusty, the Tin Dog of Dowerin
Imitation Terracotta Warrior, Western Australia (1 of 1)
An imitation Terracotta Warrior in a sort of meditation park, with Buddahs, etc. Not sure how the warrior fitted into that.

In the evening we had our usual Jack Daniels and coke, with chips. We sat outside of the kitchen area in sunshine and were reasonably comfortable. Stephen had made friends with the person managing the caravan park (temporarily) and arranged that we didn’t have to leave until 11.00 a.m. We made it just in time.

Our first stop on Wednesday morning was in Northam. We found that the area near the riverbank was set up for day use by RVs, and were able to get fresh water for the tap and plug into electricity. Stephen went off to do his Centrelink reporting and I did some shopping. By the time we got back we decided it was lunchtime.

The Avon, Northam, Western Australia (1 of 1)
The Avon, Northam, Western Australia
Northam, Western Australia (1 of 1)
RV Day Park, Northam, Western Australia

When we arrived at Mum’s place, where we planned to spend Wednesday night, we found it difficult to get the caravan into place even with the caravan movers. We wanted to turn it around to get it into the ‘go’ position, and nearly got the jockey wheel bogged in soft earth. Anyway, after much struggle we got everything set up and plugged into power and water. There was some dripping from the tap, so we didn’t leave the water on.

I cooked tea using our vegetables and some meat from Joy’s freezer.

The next day Mum had an appointment at 1.10 p.m. at Midland Hospital. I was feeling tired, so rang up to cancel. The occupational therapist rang later and sort of had the appointment over the phone. The hospital is supposed to be getting in touch with me to set up a time for a home visit. Unfortunately, they will probably ring Mum, so I hope she thinks to write it down immediately.

We got home in time to have a rest and go to the first choir meeting with Raelene back. It was good to see her, but we are all hoping she will make a firm commitment to get us ready for the Dunsborough Songfest in November.

On Friday I had a checkup on my expensive tooth with Dr Calder’s surgery. No problems found. We went to a Kent Street lunch, having seniors’ specials, and good conversation. In the evening Ray and Eversley came to tea and we watched the 1953 film of Julius Ceasar, with Marlon Brando as Marc Anthony. Very good, if a bit long. We really enjoyed having them and found a way of setting up the lounge room so that each of us had our own armchair.

On Saturday I cleaned the caravan, washed the bedding, and set things up for our next trip away in two weeks. I am leaving the fridge on with some of the longer term food in it. In the evening we went to a Beethoven concert. Stephen had been offered cheap tickets through WASO. Ian and Marianne were sitting a few seats behind and we were able to chat with them.

On Sunday Marie and Geoff came and we organised an itinerary for the first week, at least, with a rough idea for places to do and things to see on the way south. We also discussed Robyne’s idea of taking Mum away for a few days. Marie said she would talk with Robyne about it and rang her later in the day. Robyne got angry with both of us, and I was quite upset. Matt was here, so Stephen tried to distract him from what was happening.

This morning I came up with the idea of Robyne coming to Eneabba, our first stop, with us. There is a guided wildflower walk and probably other things to see. She would have one full day, driving up with us on the Monday and then home of Wednesday. This way, she gets a holiday without having to look after Mum. Robyne was very pleased and I’ve booked a cabin for her as well as two caravan sites for us. Which makes me feel a lot better. I know she was wanting a holiday, but we didn’t feel that taking Mum away on her own was a good idea. It hasn’t worked in the past and things are far more difficult now.

I’ve also booked us into the Tudor Caravan Park at Kalbarri for three nights. Marie and Geoff will handle the booking at Monkey Mia. It is a RAC run caravan park, so we will get discounts.




Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: