Our normal life

We made our way back to the Como Ukelele group on Saturday. We caught up with Helen, who ran a group at the Rod Evans Centre when it was operating, plus people that now attend Trinity School for Seniors. I found the beginners half hour quite easy, checking my chords via the person next to me who had a ‘cheat sheet’ on her lap. After that, it was hit or miss. We didn’t find the afternoon tea as fabulous as in the past, but the catching up with friends was worth going for and we left after the break.

We have one set of exchangees coming in mid April. They mentioned that their daughter has a show in the Perth Fringe Festival, and we went along, partly as a courtesy and partly because it gave a focus to checking out the festival atmosphere. It was a one woman show, with poetry and story telling, very clever in having overlapping funny and serious parts which could have been difficult to keep track of, but she gave us help. I think she is very talented as an actor and the 50 minute stint showed extraordinary stamina on her part. We didn’t go to anything else, but wandered back to catch our bus. As we passed through the station we ran into Bernard and Eleanor who were also sampling the Fringe. They had friends from England with them.

We had a bit of a wait for our bus, and it was interesting that after Northbridge, Wellington Street was compartively quiet with only a few people about, one or two of whom were quite noisy.

I took a few photos, but should have used a faster lens as the photos were blurry due to slow shutter speeds. Next time…

We had a lovely evening with Matt. His wheelchair isn’t working properly and I sent an email suggesting it needed work. Glenda, who must sit on her phone, got back to say that it is booked in tomorrow for repairs. She also included an email from someone from Matt’s house who said she always gives Matt a chance to drive his chair and finds him very keen, despite the difficulty.

When Matt was trying to switch on the dishwasher I came in and offered to help. Suddenly, he was able to do it on his own, almost as if he had been playing with us. We gave him lots of praise.

I asked his taxi driver whether he could drive Matt to Roleystone, and he said he would be willing to do it. Matt’s concession fare would work for most of the journey, with a bit of a top up. Good to know as we will be houseless in a few weeks when our exchangees come to stay here.

This morning we went down to South Beach for a swim and breakfast. It was partly cloudy and about 23 degrees, not usually good beach weather, but somehow the whole experience was lovely. After our swim (cold at first, but we acclimatized), we ordered a Beach Breakfast and two plates. Even for two people it was a big breakfast, but it was 10.00 a.m. so we were quite hungry. We walked along the path for a little while before driving home. It’s very close to Fremantle town and port, yet is very peaceful, even on a busy Sunday morning.

South Beach (1 of 1)

If you look closely you can see Stephen in the water. We took turns so that someone could keep an eye on our stuff.

Stephen all at sea (1 of 1)

The white cliff on Garden Island was lit up through a break in the clouds.

White cliff (1 of 1)

South Beach 3 (1 of 1)

South Beach 4 (1 of 1)

We could see people walking their dogs.

After Matt left we watched ‘Search for the Wildepeople’ on SBS On Demand. They kept adverts to a minimum and it was a pleasure to watch. A gentle ‘feel good’ movie that kept us totally involved throughout.

I remembered to switch the camera setting to catch a summary of the day. Very shaky video unfortunately. The bit at the end is Stephen crushing a cool drink bottle to put into recycling.




Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: