It took us quite a while to get to Highbury on Monday. I can’t quite remember why, but we obviously stopped for lunch and a rest, so that is probably it. The journey was only about 200 kms and we didn’t arrive until about 4.00 p.m.
It was quite amazingly windy which made walking around outside quite challenging. Occasionally wind gusts rocked the van. It must have steaded at night because we actually had a good rest.
We checked at the local general store/cafe and found they served an all day breakfast. It wasn’t that wonderful and surprisingly expensive at $41.00. But we were paying for the unusal setting amongst hardware items and near the little museum of old artifacts, such as an early Singer sewing machine and a gramaphone. It also meant we were able to get away quite early and despite a stop for morning tea at Brookton, plus a little stop at a town before Brookton we arrived at Roleystone at about 1.30 p.m.
Marie and I had a couple of forms to sign and it made sense for Stephen and I to call in on the way home rather than us having to get together on Wednesday. Marie made us some lunch and we caught up on each others’ news. There was a fire nearby, and I was impressed by their calm reaction. As the wind was blowing it on a parallel course although it was close they did not believe it would come towards their house. And, indeed, it didn’t.
Despite spending time there we still felt we were arriving home in good time and we stopped on the way to have a gas bottle filled. I felt we should make sure there was a full tank as well as the one we were using because of installing the heater/water heater, which would need to be tested. We arrived home with lots of daylight to spare and after a cup of tea and a rest we tackled the unloading of the van.
I only had one task left in the morning, to clean out the fridge which had defrosted overnight. I turned it one afterwards, hoping that they wouldn’t have the 12V system off for too long when installing.
We dropped off the van early yesterday morning, to bad news about a delay due to a worker being off with a sick child. I expected the job itself to take a few days, but it seems possible it will be a few weeks before we get it back. It’s parked across the road from the workshop in a storage area, in full sun, which is good for the solar, but means it’s also feeling the full effect of the hot days ahead. Mike put the new heater in its box into the van as a way of storing them together and Meagan has confirmed that it is definitely a Combi 4E. I was a bit worried that they might not realise we want it to be able to run on electricity as well as gas. If we plug in we want to save our gas and run everything on electricity.
I ordered a new solar controller on our way home and it has already arrived. Our friends have given us the name of a company that can do the installation. As we won’t have the van for a while I’ve also ordered a sirocco 12V fan which I am hoping to have installed at the same time as the solar controller. No use asking Ken Peachey Caravans, they are snowed under with work.
We are having a sort of mini outbreak here in WA at the moment and three schools are already affected. Scott Morrison has surprisingly come out in favour of the extended border closure and I’m sure it’s helping to keep case numbers relatively low here in WA. We went past the testing clinic on Albany Highway on our morning walk and there was no one there. Health authorities believe that the low positive numbers are partly due to low testing rates. My own feeling is that unless you have symptoms, or have been at an exposure site, you can feel as though you are over reacting by getting tested.
We are trying to work out ‘acceptable risks’ for our lives at home. We are due to start classes at Trinity School for Seniors next week, plus our choir will be meeting. Basically, we feel that double masking (as Eversley does) when in close proximity to people and avoiding being in situations where we are eating and drinking with other people with masks off is the way to go. Our choir, for example, will start the first choir practice with shared food and drink and socialising. We have decided to avoid that part of evening and just go for the singing when we will be wearing masks. Our other choir will meet in the open and we are hoping the weather will co operate and not be too cold or too hot (or wet).