Avon Downs Rest Area to Mt Isa 5th July, 2017
The landscape in the photo continued until after the first town where we filled up with fuel, dumped and filled up with water (at the same place, but separate taps), with the plan of staying at a rest area out of town. Then we were in bushland, with lots of creeks, some even had a little water.
There was more and more build up of clouds. The forecast for Mt Isa said there might be rain and a possible thunderstorm. We arrrived at the rest area and had a cup of tea. It was a pleasant spot, but over 30 degrees and very, very humid. We decided to take a chance on getting a powered caravan site in Mt Isa.
As we got closer to Mt Isa the landscape changed from being mostly flat, as it has been since we left Tennant Creek, to being quite hilly. We weren’t tired of the previous landscape, but it adds interest as we travel that things are always changing.
Well, at the first place we tried there were no vacancies, but the woman said the Tourist Information Centre had phoned to say they were opening up a park for overflow. We went to where she said it was happening, but there was pretty clearly nothing happening there. Stephen rang a different caravan park, and they told us it was at a different park, owned by the Irish Club. It wasn’t there, but when we rang the Irish Club, they told us we could stay overnight.
The Irish Club is nearby, so we have come over to have a meal and spend some time in air conditioning. The food is a bit of a comedown after the Barkly, but at least we are not cooking in the van in this heat.
We heard a huge rumbling that shook the building, we were alarmed, but no one else was. I suggested that it might be blasting at the mine.
There is a notice in the loo about living safely with lead. It’s a big problem for this town, and I would not like to bring up children here. I had some local fish, thinking that one dose of lead shouldn’t cause me problems.
Tomorrow is also forecast to be hot a humid, with the weather changing on Friday. We will have to consider whether we choose to stay here for sightseeing or move on in the hope of finding cooler weather.