Pinaroo Point February 2022

Not having been here for about a year we weren’t sure if we could still get away with having an overnight here. I picked up our van from Ken Peachey on Monday, but it has been too hot to put our stuff back into the van, apart from folding chairs, etc. It meant that to get away yesterday I had to make many trips outside in heat (not as hot as it has been however) to get ready. Stephen filled the water tank and got out our low folding chairs, which we thought would be best for sitting on the beach to watch the sunset.

We packed for three meals, dinner last night, breakfast this morning, and lunch today. It will likely get too hot to be in the van in the afternoon unless we move into shade.

There is always a bit of a schedule if you want to enjoy the sunset and evening light afterwards. After arriving at 5.00 we went for a short swim, then had a drink and nibbles on the beach. Then dinner, and back out again for the sunset. This time I took my camera. It’s only a short walk to the beach and we can see down the path from our van with a little glimpse of the sea, but always have to walk down there to enjoy a good view.

The breeze dropped overnight and someone decided to play a few chords on a guitar, so I got out our fan to provide a breeze and provide some white noise. We were able to get back to sleep. There were a few other people staying here overnight, but unfortunately we get a few noisy folk doing who knows what. I’ve ordered a sirocco fan from the East. We will have to have it installed when we get our new solar controller installed. But it will be much easier to simply switch it on, rather than having to set up the big battery fan.

This morning we were awoken early by a couple of people who seemed to be taking equipment down to the beach, perhaps for an event. The next time we woke up it was broad daylight at about 6.45 a.m. After a cuppa we went and had a bit longer swim before showers and breakfast. We are rather set up for camping at the moment with the airer out with our bathers and towells and the awning out to partly protect the sliding door side of the van.

Given rising COVID numbers I would rather give the writer’s festival in Fremantle a miss, and all of the other events we have on next week, but Stephen has no sense of danger and is adamant that he wants to go. As there is no point in me sheltering if he won’t it means I am going too. If we at least cut down on events it would help me to feel less stressed.

A few more photos from the evening.

The plan is to go home later today, then drive down to the Writers Festival tomorrow afternoon. We had thought of staying down there, but we would have to go to a caravan park for the overnight. It’s still quite warm in the afternoons and I would rather have the van parked at home in part shade at home, rather than on the street in Fremantle.

The last day of our holiday

It took us quite a while to get to Highbury on Monday. I can’t quite remember why, but we obviously stopped for lunch and a rest, so that is probably it. The journey was only about 200 kms and we didn’t arrive until about 4.00 p.m.

It was quite amazingly windy which made walking around outside quite challenging. Occasionally wind gusts rocked the van. It must have steaded at night because we actually had a good rest.

We checked at the local general store/cafe and found they served an all day breakfast. It wasn’t that wonderful and surprisingly expensive at $41.00. But we were paying for the unusal setting amongst hardware items and near the little museum of old artifacts, such as an early Singer sewing machine and a gramaphone. It also meant we were able to get away quite early and despite a stop for morning tea at Brookton, plus a little stop at a town before Brookton we arrived at Roleystone at about 1.30 p.m.

Marie and I had a couple of forms to sign and it made sense for Stephen and I to call in on the way home rather than us having to get together on Wednesday. Marie made us some lunch and we caught up on each others’ news. There was a fire nearby, and I was impressed by their calm reaction. As the wind was blowing it on a parallel course although it was close they did not believe it would come towards their house. And, indeed, it didn’t.

Despite spending time there we still felt we were arriving home in good time and we stopped on the way to have a gas bottle filled. I felt we should make sure there was a full tank as well as the one we were using because of installing the heater/water heater, which would need to be tested. We arrived home with lots of daylight to spare and after a cup of tea and a rest we tackled the unloading of the van.

I only had one task left in the morning, to clean out the fridge which had defrosted overnight. I turned it one afterwards, hoping that they wouldn’t have the 12V system off for too long when installing.

We dropped off the van early yesterday morning, to bad news about a delay due to a worker being off with a sick child. I expected the job itself to take a few days, but it seems possible it will be a few weeks before we get it back. It’s parked across the road from the workshop in a storage area, in full sun, which is good for the solar, but means it’s also feeling the full effect of the hot days ahead. Mike put the new heater in its box into the van as a way of storing them together and Meagan has confirmed that it is definitely a Combi 4E. I was a bit worried that they might not realise we want it to be able to run on electricity as well as gas. If we plug in we want to save our gas and run everything on electricity.

I ordered a new solar controller on our way home and it has already arrived. Our friends have given us the name of a company that can do the installation. As we won’t have the van for a while I’ve also ordered a sirocco 12V fan which I am hoping to have installed at the same time as the solar controller. No use asking Ken Peachey Caravans, they are snowed under with work.

We are having a sort of mini outbreak here in WA at the moment and three schools are already affected. Scott Morrison has surprisingly come out in favour of the extended border closure and I’m sure it’s helping to keep case numbers relatively low here in WA. We went past the testing clinic on Albany Highway on our morning walk and there was no one there. Health authorities believe that the low positive numbers are partly due to low testing rates. My own feeling is that unless you have symptoms, or have been at an exposure site, you can feel as though you are over reacting by getting tested.

We are trying to work out ‘acceptable risks’ for our lives at home. We are due to start classes at Trinity School for Seniors next week, plus our choir will be meeting. Basically, we feel that double masking (as Eversley does) when in close proximity to people and avoiding being in situations where we are eating and drinking with other people with masks off is the way to go. Our choir, for example, will start the first choir practice with shared food and drink and socialising. We have decided to avoid that part of evening and just go for the singing when we will be wearing masks. Our other choir will meet in the open and we are hoping the weather will co operate and not be too cold or too hot (or wet).