To the North: Checking in from Cue

We drove about another 300 kms yesterday, with a coffee and fuel stop at Paynes Find and a bit longer stop in Mt Magnet as Stephen wanted to go to the Visitor Centre there. We had planned to continue driving and overnight in Cue, but it was getting late in the day and I was able to find a good camping area about 20 kms up the road, rather than driving 80kms to Cue so close to sunset.

The camping area was called Old Wyngangoo Parking Area. We had a couple of trucks staying overnight there as well, plus one caravan which we didn’t actually see until the morning, so it must have come in late. The trucks kept their engines going, but it was a constant sound that didn’t bother us overnight. The camping area is huge, with lots of roads in and quite dry. We didn’t go as far back as we could have gone and the presence of the trucks was a bit reassuring as camping all by ourselves might be a bit spooky. The trucks stayed in the main pull off area and we thus kept out of each others’ way.

We had another cold night, but less moist than our first night which made it more comfortable sleeping under our warm doona. Oddly, we don’t seem to mind a bit of cold (I think it went down to 6 degrees). I got quite hot when cooking our tea (spaghetti, vegetarian mince, vegetables, canned tomato and tomato paste) in the single large pan. We have two meals left over.

We got away at about 10.00 a.m. this morning and have driven to Cue where we’ve filled up with water, emptied our toilet, and Stephen is off to the Visitor Centre here whilst I am writing. The day is sunny but there is a nippy wind. It’s good for parking in the sun so we get good solar power.

I rang Matt last night as Glenda had let us know that he had been running a temp and she called a locum to see him Monday night. Although his temperature was normal he actually looks a bit unwell. Still, I know that Glenda and the staff will monitor him and let us know if we need to head back.

So far our overnight parkups have had good internet, so we are not suffering from withdrawal symptoms. We haven’t had any more rain, but there is still some standing water beside the road which suggests there has been a lot of rain recently.

In this van we travel at 100kms an hour, which I think is our limit, and we haven’t had any caravans passing us, just some heading south or parked up in the towns. It appears that we won’t have any difficulty finding camping areas until we reach the more touristy areas further north as most people must be travelling up the coast road rather than going inland like us.

From yesterday morning.
from yesterday evening.
This morning.
from yesterday morning

2 responses to “To the North: Checking in from Cue”

    • I’m worried. He is looking unwell, but Dr says OK. We are going to be checking in twice a week and I hope to see him look better soon.

Leave a Reply